Sponsor Licence: UK Businesses now need Sponsor Licence to recruit nationals of European Union

The United Kingdom has left the European Union. UK Employers and Educators who wish to employ nationals of EU after Brexit, now need a Sponsor Licence.

What is a Sponsor Licence?

A Sponsor Licence is the mandatory requirement for employers to recruit foreign workers and educators to recruit foreign students.

Who needs a Sponsor Licence?

All employers need a sponsor licence who wish to employ foreign workers including from European Union, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway and Switzerland.

This requirement equally applies to the educational institutions who wish to recruit foreign students including from European Union, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway and Switzerland.

Though requirement for Sponsor Licence was applicable even before Brexit, but since 1 January 2021 this is also applicable to recruitment of staff and students from European Union, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway and Switzerland

Who does not need a Sponsor Licence?

Employment of staff or recruitment of students does not require Sponsor Licence in following conditions:

  • Irish citizens

  • those with settled or pre-settled status under the EU Settlement Scheme

  • those with indefinite leave to remain in the UK

Types of licence

For employers, sponsor licence may be 'Worker' or 'Temporary Worker'.

Worker licence is for long-term and permanent position covering Skilled Worker, Intra-company visas, Minister of Religion and Sportsperson

Temporary Worker licence is for temporary recruitment covering Creative or Sporting worker, Charity worker, Religious worker, Government Authorised Exchange worker, International Agreement worker, or Seasonal worker.

Seek Professional Advice

As laws and regulations continue to change coupled with details involved in all spheres, Employers and Educators should read official and detailed guidance and take professional advice before taking next steps.

Read official and detailed guidance here: Employers & Educators

Immigration Advisers >>>

Olive Breeze UK Migration

Regulated to provide immigration advice or services by the Immigration Services Commissioner.


13 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All